Show Me, Tell Me Safety questions
Safety questions and answers for Toyota Auris hybrid
At the start of the test before moving off.
1. Tell me how you’d check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
The brake pedal should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you’d find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
In the manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust all 5 tyres when they are cold & remember to refit valve caps.
3. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the centre part of the head restraint is at least level with the eyes or top of the ears.
4. Tell me how you’d check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
Check there are no cuts or bulges, must be a minimum of 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre, and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you’d check that the headlights and tail lights are working.
Turn end of indicator switch 3 clicks towards the windscreen then say you’d walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
6. Tell me how you’d know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Orange ABS warning light on dashboard would come on & stay on if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
7. Tell me how you’d check the direction indicators are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you’d turn on power then operate the indicator switch (or hazard warning light switch), and then walk round vehicle to check.
8. Tell me how you’d check the brake lights are working on this car.
Explain you’d press the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows etc, or ask someone to help.
9. Tell me how you’d check the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey, 2 simple checks can be made.
Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the power is switched on, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10. Tell me how you’d switch on the rear fog light and explain when you’d use it.
Turn on dipped headlights then turn fog light switch 2 clicks towards the windscreen. Check warning light is on. Use when visibility is 100 metres or less and switch off when it improves.
11. Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you’d know the main beam is on.
Switch on dipped beam then push indicator stalk forwards. Blue warning light on dashboard tells you main beam is on.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Point to dipstick then explain you’d “remove dipstick and wipe with a clean cloth, reinsert the dipstick, remove the dipstick again and check the oil on the dipstick is between the minimum and maximum markers.”
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Identify high and low level markings on header tanks for engine and inverter (pink fluid).
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Point to reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
During the test when moving.
1, When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen? Push wiper stalk away from you.
2, When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen? Pull wiper stalk towards you.
3, When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d switch on your dipped headlights?
4, When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d set the rear demister?
5, When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d operate the horn?
6,When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d demist the front windscreen?
7, When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d open and close your side window?