Make sure you that, if you book your theory test online, you use the official DVSA site as there are other sites that charge a premium of up to £28 + the DVSA test fee of £23 to book!
You do not have to pass the theory test before you start to drive but studying for the theory test as soon as lessons are booked means that you will understand more and build your confidence quicker when you do start to drive.
The theory test should be looked at as a good foundation for good driving and a lifetime of safe driving. Because of this recommended study materials for the theory test are
- The Highway Code. This contains all the rules you need to know to pass the practical test and drive safely afterwards and is £2.50 from bookstores or available free online at Highway Code Website
- Know your Traffic Signs. This contains all the information on traffic signs to enable you to pass the theory test, the practical test and also drive safely afterwards. Around £4.99 from bookstores or available free online at Traffic Signs PDF
- Access to Theory test pro a website containing all you need (in conjunction with the above items) to pass the UK theory test. (internet access required).
Theory Test Breakdown.
The theory test consists of 2 parts, a multiple choice section, lasting a maximum of 57 minutes with a pass mark of 43 out of 50, and a Hazard Perception section, consisting of 14 video clips with developing hazards and a pass mark of 44 out of 75.
- You must pass both of these elements on the same test to obtain an overall pass. (At present if you fail either part of the test you must reapply and retake and pass both parts to obtain an overall pass).
- You must pass both parts of the theory test before you can book a practical test and you must then pass the practical test within 2 years of passing the theory test.
- You will be told at the end of the test whether you have passed or not.
- If you pass you will get a letter containing your pass certificate and theory test pass number.
- You must keep this safe as it contains information required to book a practical test.
Make sure you are passing the mock tests regularly with good marks before you book and take a theory test so that you are well prepared and ready to pass 1st time or it will cost you another £23!
For more information on theory tests https://www.gov.uk/driving-theory-test